Mandav located in the Dhar district of Madhya Pradesh is a treasure trove of natural beauty and ancient ruins. Draped in tales of romance and valour from a bygone era , this place is sure to fascinate anyone. It is an astounding combination of nature, architecture and history.
The place is famous mainly for its brilliant fusion of rajasthani and afghan architecture and of course the epic love story of Rani Roopmati and Baz Bahadur. But not many know that they were not married!!
They were only associated because of their love for music. This fact is known only to the locals and guides. Moreover, Roopmati was already married. Her husband had sent her back to her maternal place because at his palace she refused to eat or drink anything without seeing her revered and holy river Narmada.
I have visited Mandu twice and really, there is an aura of mystery around this place. There are some surprising facts about the place which you can come to know only after visiting the place.
- The Jahaz Mahal extends four storeys underground and had three storeys above the ground of which only two remain now.
- There is an underground tunnel in the Jahaz Mahal that seems to be too small for even crawling but used to provide a safe path out of the fort to the whole army of the king. Also no one knows where this tunnel leads to!!
- The Jahaz Mahal used to house 15,000 women.
- The Hindola Mahal has NO FOUNDATION. It only stands on a stone slab.
- The Neelkantheswar Mahadev temple was built by Emperor Akbar and was gifted to Jodhabai.
- While doing restoration work, the Archaeological Department found the idol of a Hindu God hidden in between the walls of the Jahaz Mahal.
So, in this blog I have basically tried to take you through some of the facts which you may not even find on Google.
Friends this is my first blog and I am still learning more about it. So please like and support! 🙂
Find out more about my blog on About me page.